Borrow the internet! Use one of our palm-sized, wireless hotspots to access the internet wherever you are.
All three branches of the West Hartford Public Library have WiFi hotspots available for lending. A hotspot is a device you can use to connect a device, such as a laptop, smartphone, or tablet, to the Internet. The hotspot is portable, so you can connect your device almost wherever you are, such as at home, on the bus, as long as there is T-Mobile cell service.
The hotspot can be used with up to 10 mobile devices at once, although the fewer number of devices connected, the faster the Internet service will be. Internet service for the hotspot is provided by the T-Mobile network. View the T-Mobile network service map for coverage. (Coverage is unavailable outside the continental United States.).
Hotspot Lending Agreement
- The West Hartford Public Library lends WiFi Hotspots to cardholders ages 18 and above with library cards in good standing.
- Patrons can borrow hotspots for one week and they cannot be renewed.
- Patrons can reserve hotspots. However, patrons cannot place a reserve on a hotspot if they currently have one checked out and are limited to one hold at a time.
- Once a hotspot is checked out, it becomes the responsibility of the borrower until it is returned and checked by library staff. Borrowers are responsible for damage, loss, or theft and are not permitted to make changes to the device.
- The device may be returned to any West Hartford Library branch and must be returned to a service desk. Do not place the device in library book drops. Devices returned in book drops will result in a $10 fine applied to the borrower’s library card.
- A returned hotspot must remain available in the library for 24 hours before a patron is allowed to check out a hotspot again.
- Upon return, the hotspot will be examined to ensure it has not been tampered with. If damage or changes to the devices are discovered by library staff, appropriate charges will be added to the borrower’s account.
- An overdue charge of $10 per day up to the full replacement cost of $200 will be charged for a hotspot that is not returned. If the device is overdue by more than 3 days, wireless service will be discontinued until the device is returned.
- The full replacement cost of the device or of any parts lost, stolen, damaged, or otherwise not returned will be charged to the borrower. Failure to pay the replacement cost(s) will result in the loss of borrowing privileges for all library materials.
- The library reserves the right to refuse service to patrons who abuse equipment or who are repeatedly late in returning materials. The library is not responsible for any liability, damages or expense resulting from use or misuse of the device, connection of the device to other electronic devices, or data loss resulting from use of device. The library is not responsible for any personal information that may be compromised as a result of use of this device.